Friday, 16 May 2014

big beauty haul part I: ELF.

I'm back to what I do best! I had a lot of uni workload so I cut off blogging for a while but that clearly didn't stop my need to shop. Whilst I was up at 2am  revising (more like worrying about the slightest thought of my upcoming exams) I decided to calm myself with a bit of retail therapy. And the best kind more me is always the online type- quick, easy and no second guessing myself. That's when I stumbled upon the ELF page.

ELF has been out for quite a while now, and although the cheap prices are tempting, I've never found the need to buy anything from them. Not only have I read bad reviews, but online swatches haven't been that good quality so it is hard to tell. However I was watching some beauty videos on Shaaanxo and Shannon posted a huge ELF haul. She was really honest about a lot of the products and the quality was amazing- making the makeup very appealing. So I noted down some of the things that interested me most from her video and went onto their page. Not only did I find a few other items that I thought why not give a go, they were doing a special deal at the type. If you spent over £20 you received a free gift set worth £20. Now this sort of thing doesn't normally attract me to spend more than I need to, but seeing as I spent over that amount it was nice to get something extra anyway. So this is Part I of my purchases that didn't include the gift set (a few things are missing as I want to feature them on a different post). Part II is the free makeup I received along with my items. 



1) Complete Coverage Concealer (£3.95)
I guess it's time to rip off the band-aid with this one! Well when I initially saw this concealer palette, I thought it was a pretty good deal to try out. I got mine in the shade 'Light' so I could use it as a possible highlighter. But as soon as I got it out I knew there was a chance it would end up being disaster. Like the packaging, it smells very cheap- like children's play-makeup to be exact. However I thought I'd power through- my beloved House of Frazer dark lipstick that I constantly wear smells similar, but is a complete gem regardless. But nope, this was just a disaster! I really wanted this to work because the second shade is really close to Mac's yellow highlighter that is in there concealer palette. This has a horrible texture to it. It just feels like the type of thing you get in a children's play-makeup set. It comes on the skin very clumpy and then sets in all the worst parts of your face. I really did try to make this work, by trying it on different areas, but it wasn't happening. Urgh, I just hated this so much. I'd rather spend a bit extra on a Mac or Nars concealer palette to get better results. Just please do not even waste your time on this, save your pennies!






2) Studio Matte Lip Colour (£3.95)
Am I happy that these beauties have stumbled into my life. I've always heard of these studio lipsticks but have read really bad reviews on them- apparently they are really drying and don't compliment the lips. I could not disagree more! I got two different shades: 'Rich Red' which is the darkest shade out of the bunch so something I am used to and 'Praline' which is very similar to Mac's Whirl lip liner. Although these have matte finish, it is so easy to apply onto the lips. They feel so soft and last on quite well for the price. I don't know why my pictures didn't show off the colour well, but the red is seriously a bright, bright red! Very classic. And for any of you out there who is a fan of Kylie Jenner's lip makeup at the moment, Praline is a perfect way of achieving it but with the fraction of the price. I will definitely be stocking up on every colour I can get of these- and so should you! 






3) Baked Blush (£3.95)
This was the unexpected product. I've only just got into highlighters again and this looked quite nice in some of the pictures I've seen. I chose the lightest shade which is called 'Pinktastic'. If you've ever been on my Instagram, you'd know pinktastic is not what I'd describe my style as. However this is more of a pale pink, which is something I can definitely adapt to. I think this product has two sides to it. In pictures it comes across as amazing and the perfect glow. However in person you'll see that the glitter pigments are slightly too big and I find that they all separate from each other. So it can tend to look quite unflattering on the skin. But I guess if you just want something for your photos this will bring results. 






4) Lipstick (£1.95)
This was the cheapest product I bought during my little shopping spree. I was really excited to give these lipsticks a go because Shannon spoke about how pigmented they are. And for that little in price, I couldn't wait to try it out for myself. I bought three colours that Shannon spoke about on her channel- 'Fearless' (red), 'Classy' (pink with a purple undertone) and 'Sociable' (red with pink undertones). Overall these lipsticks are such good quality for the price. I would go as far to say that I get more colour from this than brands like L'oreal lipsticks. Fearless is by far my favourite because its a full on red, which is something I wear on a daily basis. Also it has a satin finish, so will be great over a lip liner. My problem with Classy, isn't that it is not wearable because I'm sure some people would love this, but its something I would have worn it secondary school. Its very similar to some of the NYX lipsticks I have, and probably has the same texture too. So great for people who like the type of Barbie look, but yeah not for me. I really do not like sociable which was really disappointing. The best thing about it was that smelt incredibly sweet- and for a candy lover like me, it's just heaven. That's where everything stops working. It's not that the colour is bad, it is I would a bright red with a pink undertone. But it has the most awful bits of silver glitter in it. And they are quite noticeable. So not elegant at all, more something I think someone a lot younger would wear. But hey, I guess I could always just smell it to get my moneys worth.  






So this was Part I of my late night ELF haul. I bought a few more items but like I said I'm saving it for some other ideas I have planned for you all. Part II is going to be me revealing what I received as part of the gift set. So stay tuned for more first impressions and swatches. If anyone has tried these products or any other ELF makeup, make sure you leave a comment below to share your own experiences.

2 comments:

  1. Great haul! I love the cream shadows from elf
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for reading :) I still haven't tried them out of fear that I would be disappointed! But I might as I've heard some good reviews on them.

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs